Eat Well with Elissa & Stef: #NationalAvocadoDay
Happy #NationalAvocadoDay Elissa & Stef blog readers!
Every millennials favourite brunch ingredient should be celebrated in all its glory today and every day. With its healthy fatty acids and all the vitamins you can image, the avocado is truly a magical lil fruit! This #NationalAvocadoDay Eat Well with Elissa & Stef are giving you the perfect avocado-based 2 course meal. Both recipes are quick, easy and healthy - the perfect summer trio.
Smoked Salmon and Avocado Spaghetti
1 ripe Avocado (stone and peel removed)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
Herbs of your choice - parsley or basil are ideal
The juice of 1 lemon
100g smoked salmon sliced into strips
1. Place spaghetti in a medium sauce pan of boiling water. Add salt and a small splash of oil to prevent the spaghetti from sticking together. Leave to simmer for around 12 mins
2. In a food processor, place the flesh of your avocado, garlic cloves, half of your herbs of choice and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
3. Blend until the green sauce becomes silky smooth
4. Drain spaghetti but reserve around 100ml of your pasta water to loosen up the sauce.
5. Combine pasta and the avocado sauce in the saucepan along with the strips of salmon, pour over pasta water and mix together well until the spaghetti is covered.
6. Chop up the remaining half of your herbs and use them to garnish the pasta along with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Avocado Ice Cream
2 ripe avocados
1 banana chopped into chunks
The juice of 1 lemon
1 can of coconut milk
1 tsp maple syrup
1. In a bowl, combine avocado flesh from both avocados with the juice from 1 lemon and mash with a fork
2. Once the avocado is mashed into a smooth paste, add the coconut milk and chopped banana along with a spoonful of maple syrup to sweeten
3. Place mixture into a food processor and blend until super smooth and creamy
4. Transfer the smooth mix from the processor to a loaf tin and spread evenly using a spatula or large spoon
5. Place into the freezer and leave to freeze for 4 hours before serving
Tag us on Instagram or TikTok with @elissastef if you choose to recreate our sweet or savoury avocado recipes this #NationalAvocadoDay and we'll repost your creations!
Author: Ellie-Jo Johnstone