Healthy strawberry oat bars
This week Eat Well with Elissa & Stef are giving you the recipe for the perfect healthy dessert or picnic snack for that summer day out!
Packed with fruit and oats these strawberry bars are a great sweet treat to enjoy without the guilty feeling afterwards.
- 200g old-fashioned rolled oats
- 150g plain flour
- 80g light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- 2 large handfuls of small-diced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 a lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat to 190 degrees
- Line an 8x8-inch baking tray with brown paper so that the paper overhangs two sides
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger, and salt.
- Pour in the melted butter and stir until the dry ingredients are evenly coated with the buttery liquid
- Set aside 1/2 of the crumble mixture, then press the rest into the bottom of the prepared baking tray
- Scatter half of the strawberries over the crust and sprinkle the cornstarch evenly over the top
- Squeeze on the lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon of the granulated sugar.
- Scatter on the remaining berries, then the remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumble evenly over the whole mixture - some of the fruit should show through
- Bake the bars for 35 to 40 minutes until golden and crisp on top
- Place the pan on a wire rack to cool fully - this should take around 30 mins
- Slice the bake into finger-shaper bars once cool and serve with some natural yoghurt or ice cream and enjoy